Sunday, October 19, 2008

Two.

OK, so in retrospect, the crown was not a great idea.



But the cake was.




Scarlett turned two yesterday, and we spent the afternoon at our friends' farm out in the country. We did not tell her that all those people weren't there specifically for her, but she didn't seem to mind much. She got to eat a cupcake, play in a sandbox, and watch her mother be inept at silk screening t-shirts. It was a pretty cool birthday. Thanks so much to Tom and Wendy for opening their home to everyone in the state. We look forward to a day when we can stay past sundown.


Today she got her very own birthday cake, but again, mistakes were made. She probably shouldn't have tagged along to the bakery, because all day we heard "HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAKE!!" Couldn't really grasp why we were just letting this perfectly good cake sit on the counter. What are we, stupid? CAKE. Then the whole crown thing. Clearly, I am not so smart.

To be serious for just one moment [I know. It's uncomfortable for me too. Bear with me.] I have to reflect a little on this past year. Scarlett has never ceased to amaze me with the strength and fortitude she has shown in the face of adversity. She has been put through the ringer, and just keeps going, and growing, and learning, and making us laugh. She has to play catch up every day, and will for a while longer, but she has astounded us with the gleeful way she attacks each morning. I can only imagine what she'll surprise us with in the coming year.

2 comments:

hoopermom said...

crying...

Work in Progress said...

That's the cutest crying face I think I've ever seen! But, she seems happy with the cake. :)

I'm so impressed with Scarlett and how she's handled everything. And with you too. Great job, momma!