Friday, September 21, 2007

Thomas, the crack engine.


OK, so I needed a minute. And anything On Demand is as good as gold as I'm concerned - although usually I'm surfing for E! on demand, or Discovery Health! on demand. Or Wine! on demand.

But guess what I found today? Thomas on Demand.

Scarlett actually doesn't seem to have my love of the big black box in the corner of the room. She is occasionally distracted by Sesame Street or the Backyardigans [but please God, not the Wonder Pets. Anything but the friggin' Wonder Pets.], but she doesn't watch for long.

Thomas did catch her attention. And I think I'm OK with that. Although I find it sad that her knowledge of George Carlin will not be for the Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television, or even for Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - but instead for narrating a children's show that causes perfectly normal preschoolers to lose their mind.

Charlie, Scarlett's cousin, is a virtual connoisseur of all things Thomas. When the first of the toy recalls regarding this brand was announced, my sister had to run around the house collecting all the new red trains that Charlie had accumulated, mumbling under her breath the whole time "Thank God it wasn't Percy."

Recently on a trip to our favorite independent toy store with his Nana, upon picking out his booty, he walked right up to the counter and asked "Does this have TOXIC PAINT?" Kids. Can't live with 'em. Can't trade up.

He also got into a spot of trouble in Kindergarten recently, because he decided that his name was Percy, that he could only be called Percy, and that he would write "Percy" on his papers. I believe all Thomas related activity was suspended briefly.

Wait, where was I going with this?

Oh yes. Scarlett. TV. Thomas the Tank Engine. Well, you get the picture.

Just as long as it's not the Wonder Pets.

No comments: